Friday, December 10, 2010

Deja Vu?? - Mistakes Repeated in 2010

Am I watching the 2009 NFR or is it 2010? It’s the 9th round and again there’s only one team that has caught all steers. Back in the day, it was not unusual to have only one team catch all 10 because back in the day there was an ability problem, hence the reason for 3 loops. Today, the problem is not in their ability, it’s in their head. Last night at the conclusion of the 8th go ‘round, 12.9 won 5th in the round, yet I ask, “Where were the other 9 teams?” My guess is they stepped out of their hotel rooms, threw their ropes and hit the strip. It’s the N-F-R boys, we play to win the game. Come on man!

When you stumble across the Camarillo name in the rodeo archives the definition reads: we rope for food. Along the way you may win a significant trophy like an NFR buckle, or 6, but it was serious salsa every time we backed in the box. Never…I repeat NEVER, any mucking around. We always showed up, and we always left some kind of evidence that we’d meant business. If a partner took a flash-shot and cost you a paycheck being a show off he was fired on the spot. I had a hot-shot heading for me one time try to ocean wave one to please the crowd and his fancy ocean wave-off! cost me a perpetual award that had a $5,000.00 bonus to it. As you guessed, I gave him the rest of his life (with me) off.

Today, catching 10 head pays two and a half times the money of what a round pays. Do the math. To the NFR qualifier I ask, “Did you work all year long to make it to the NFR so you could gamble it all away? Did you go to Vegas intending to launch your rope from the hotel room and get back to the slot machine as fast as you can or did you go to Vegas to do business?” Understandably, my plan for a competitor my be completely my own, nevertheless, it pains me to watch the many careless mistakes. “Just catching” 10 steers buys a lot of groceries boys. As well, it just might get you a gold buckle.

That’s all I know…

Rope Smart!
The Lion




1 comment:

  1. 10 catches by Luke Brown and Martin Lucero bought them many diapers for their babies.

    ReplyDelete